My News Sources

 1ST SOURCE: AP NEWS

I’m not big on politics or political news, however, since I’m now of age to vote I do understand the importance of being informed about the political world. The Associated Press is a great source that is reputable and unbiased towards the political parties in the USA. Those are the two main reasons I use AP News anytime there is a political issue or topic, I’m interested in delving deeper into learning about. Plus, AP News is a great base to build your own political opinions from. I start looking up things on their website, before I go to NYTIMES or WASHINGTONPOST.  

2ND SOURCE: SH*TYOUSHOULDCAREABOUT

I would say that this is my daily source of news. This is an Instagram page I began following at the beginning of the pandemic. It focuses on world news, covering everything from vaccine updates to why Apple’s weather app won’t say 69 degrees, so I feel highly informed. The account is based out of New Zealand and has more than just an Insta page. The news coverage they offer includes but isn’t limited to: a newsletter, Culture Vulture (their weekly pop culture) podcast, The Sh*t Show (their weekly news) podcast. 

The graphic I made below, is one of their posts about how a couple from Spain just got joint custody of their dog. They explained how this was possible, in addition, to dog laws from all over the globe. 

Another thing I love about this page is their pop culture elements. They make their posts fun.

3RD SOURCE: SOINFORMED

So Informed is my second daily source of news that is also an Instagram page. This one takes a more serious tone than the one above. Its purpose is to inform people in a simple and easy to understand format. The author runs the page for free and independently. So Informed covers topics like mental health to contacting your elected officials. 

My favorite aspect of this news source is that every Sunday there is a Good News post. The author finds good news to post about from all over from the past week. This really made me happy and feel connected during the pandemic.  An example of this post can be seen by the graphic I made below. 

4TH SOURCE: E!NEWS

This source is a guilty pleasure. I follow this account solely to see updates about my favorite celebrities. I of course do not take these posts as gospel and the truth, but like with AP News, I will then investigate further to fact check. E! News also posts to Snapchat that I’ll sometimes view. They’re short video clips about the latest “news.” 

Another reason why I follow E on Insta is because their captions are funny. If I need a good laugh during the day, I can pretty much count on a caption with a pun that makes my pop culture heart happy. 

Since coming to college, I feel like it’s important for me to stay in the loop about certain things. I started following this page because I wanted to know what some of my peers, professors, family, and friends were talking about. I learned from this page about the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins who died from a prop gun mishap. 

5TH SOURCE: ROLLINGSTONE

My last source caters to my love of music. I trust this source as a reputable source to inform me of everything in the music world that I may not know. I love how they make posts about various artists and bands. Additionally, I love their musicians-on-musicians posts and their ranking posts.

While I follow this page for the music content, they don’t limit themselves as a news source. They also post current events and issues. An example of a topic is: Gabby Petito’s Cause of Death Ruled a Homicide by Strangulation.

My news intake is scattered and not all the time that deep. I like to be informed of things that I’m interested in or feel that I should have some knowledge of. As with everything else, I hope to continue to learn more and keep myself updated. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

Anti-War Voices

Rogers' Diffusion of Innovation