EOTO: An Invention I Learned About

 I decided to write about what I learned from my classmate, Olivia Moran’s EOTO presentation on DVDs. 

    


For starters I didn’t even know what DVD stood for… It stands for Digital Videodisc. This is the type of video format that was a constant companion of my childhood. Yet, before the DVD, there was the LaserDisc. LaserDisc was invented in 1958 by David Paul and James Russell. This product was finally released in America in 1978. Much like a vinyl, if watching on a LaserDisc, you would have to flip the disc halfway through the movie. 

DVDs were invented in 1995, released to the public a year later. With this new technology, it also meant a new technology to play it. Hence, DVD players, which also came out in 1996. 

Having things in a compact and transportable disc changed our world. My classmate talked about how, this also allowed for gaming consoles like the Playstation was able to play movies. Other inventions that were loosely touched on, were portable DVD players, like the ones in your mom’s car, and the Blu-Ray discs. 


I also learned about the startings of Netflix, and well everyone knows how that changed entertainment as we know it today. I even did my own presentation on Hulu (which can be found here.) 

It was really cool to see how this invention was started and how it evolved. While DVDs may not be the hot commodity anymore, we wouldn’t have several inventions or services today, without them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

Anti-War Voices

Rogers' Diffusion of Innovation